All the shows are now on Rockabilly Radio http://www.rockabillyradio.net
Rockin Rockabilly Hillbilly Rock n Roll Country Roots R&B
I have some interviews and DJ sets up on the old tape desks for you all to listen to on your Hillbilly Radio, you can also check them out on www.rockabillyradio.net and at http://thepreacher.podomatic.com All the shows are now on www.RockabillyRadio.net http://www.rockabillyradio.net DJ at the Hillbilly Hop www.hillbillyhop.com DJ at the Rhythm Riot 2007, 2010 www.rhythmriot.com Internet DJ at the Rockabilly Day 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011
Duration: 68:41 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 96 KBPS - Frequency: 44100 HZ
- Well worth the wait and this has got to be one of the greatest moments I have ever had to be able to sit down with Sonny Burgess and Bobby Crafford at a little hotel in Rye near Camber Sands on the south coast of England October 2010 they were playing at the world famous Rhythm Riot R&B Roots music event http://www.rhythmriot.com
A Big thanks goes out to Robin, Collette and Jerry Chatterbox for helping make the interview happen.
Early 1950s, Sonny played boogie woogie music in dance halls and bars around Newport. Sonny, Kern Kennedy, Johnny Ray Hubbard, and Gerald Jackson formed a boogie woogie band called the Rocky Road Ramblers. In 1954, following US Army (1951–53) joined a band made up of mainly army cooks, Burgess re-formed the original band, calling them the Moonlighters after the Silver Moon Club in Newport.
After advice from record producer Sam Phillips, the group expanded to form the Pacers in 1955 at Newport, Arkansas. The band's first record was We Wanna Boogie in 1956 for Sun Records, in Memphis. SUN Records: "Red Headed Woman" b/ "We Wanna Boogie", "Thunderbird", "Ain't Got a Thing", "Buckets Got a Hole In It", and "Sadies Back In Town". "Red Headed Woman and We Wanna Boogie" has been voted the wildest record ever recorded.
The songs have been described as "among the most raucous, energy-filled recordings released during the first flowering of rock and roll." Their onstage antics in performance were similarly described. Like other artists such as Ray Harris, Hayden Thompson, Billy Lee Riley and Warren Smith. They also had a hit in 1965 on Razorback Records with "The Short Squashed Texan". Sonny and the Pacers played clubs, festivals, shows, and colleges all over the US and Canada.
They were one of the pioneers of rock and roll and travelled with Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Jerry Lee Lewis, Carl Perkins, Elvis Presley, Danny and the Juniors, Conway Twitty, Patsy Cline, Ronnie Hawkins, Billy Lee Riley, Ace Cannon, Charlie Rich, Teddy Riedell, Narvel Felts, and many more. Sonny Burgess disbanded the group in 1971 but later found a new audience in Europe. In about 1990, Burgess toured with The Sun Rhythm Section.
This group was comprised of former session musicians from the Sun Recording Studio. Beside Burgess, included Paul Burlison guitar, J.L. "Smoochy" Smith piano, Stan Kessler bass, Marcus Van Story acoustic guitar & lead vocals, and D.J. Fontana on drums. D.J. Fontana who was a member of Elvis Presley's band for 17 years.
In April of 1999 the Pacers played for a world wide Rockabilly show at Viva Las Vegas and stole the show. In May of 1999, Sonny Burgess was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of Europe. His group, now called The Legendary Pacers, was a hit that same year in a rockabilly concert in Las Vegas, Nevada.
http://www.legendarypacers.com recorded Still Rockin' and Rollin' in 2000, voted the best new album in the country and roots field in Europe.
The Rock and Soul Museum in Memphis also opened in May of 2000 and features a section on the Pacers.
In October of 2000 they were asked to play for a special show at the Peabody Hotel in Memphis honouring Sam Philips and his legacy at Sun Records.
The group was inducted in 2002 into the Rockabilly Hall of Fame in Jackson.
Sonny Burgess hosts a weekly radio program called We Wanna Boogie. Sunday nights from 5-7pm Central Time on 91.9FM KASU in Jonesboro, Arkansas. http://www.wewannaboogie.org
Living Legends in their own time The Preacher 2012 http://www.rockabillypreacher.co.uk
Duration: 45:58 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- At Last I have done it - after a year and half of hassling them for a podcast Smokestack Lightnin' About Smokestack Lightnin' Smokestack Lightnin' – Heads Of Agreement (Hazelwood / Indigo) Don..t you go to sleep, dear?!…..intone Batke/Graef and board the musical loveletter. With three chord romance and druggy avant-garde, with B52 surf skills and testube folk, it propagates the obscure in Human being. Thereby the rhetorical question is meant quite aimed at the hallucinogenic effect of the weary gaffer. With an overdose of all this, anything from Peter and the Wolf to California daydreams, from submarine bubbling to fuck-you-mentality is packed into Country. As if it had always belonged there. And underneath it all, the Ringo-mania of rhythm beater M. Kargel moves the masses while D. Hess..s twang guitar cuts the raw piece of music into bite-sized slices. Someone here is obviously having a hell of a lot of fun playing with cliches. Is this still called, “Country”? Why don..t you go to sleep, dear?! Wonderful! http://www.myspace.com/smokestacklightninmusic
Duration: 92:45 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Well I thought I would put up an hour of Dj set, thanks to all the people who attended and danced their asses off. Keep on Rockin. The Preacher.
Duration: 35:33 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
Rhythm Bomb Records is dedicated to recording and promoting the best in rockabilly and roots music. We take music seriously, but we don't take ourselves all that seriously. We do work long hours, but we're also firm believers in having fun at festivals and wild party's. http://www.rhythmbomb.com/ Americana Authentic New Rockabilly Country Rock n Roll Jive / New RnB Modern Hillbilly Modern Rockabilly Rhythm Bomb Records is a small, somewhat mysterious company based in London, UK. We're an independent record label, a music production/promotion company, and we have an own publishing company, Rhythm Bomb Publishing. Besides working with our own artists and releasing their CDs on our label, we offer a wide range of musical services to outside artists, bands, and other independent labels. *Its a well kept secret that we are one of Europe's largest distribution company for Rockabilly music, moving some thousand CDs every month.* In 2003 we founded Rhythm Bomb Records in Hamburg, Germany, and the rest - as they say - is history. Since then, our CD releases have received considerable radio airplay in many countries; been distributed and sold on six continents; been licensed in Europe and Japan; and picked up glowing reviews in respected music publications all over the world. Our artists have been booked on all good festivals in Europe, the US and Australia. We have a strong partnership with all good festivals like Rockabilly Rave, Midsummer Jamboree, SJOCK, Screamin, High Rockabilly, Rockin 50s Fest Green Bay and many more. Unlike the major labels, Rhythm Bomb Records doesn't have huge recording and advertising budgets; in fact, we hardly have an advertising budget at all! We invest in our artists and employees - that's the best investment we can do. Here at Rhythm Bomb Records we're actually more interested in putting out excellent original music than in slick images, trendiness and overblown hype. We don't think that music should sound like it just rolled off an assembly-line, with every edge smoothed down and all the guts removed. The secret of our success is the Rhythm Bomb sound. We produce most of our releases on our own in the Lightning Recording Studio in Berlin. Most other labels simply buy the ready produced recordings from bands or studios. If Rockabilly, Hillbilly or any kind of 1950s music is your cup of tea - you came to the right place. Bands 45 rpm 45 R.P.M.
Duration: 60:38 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Well here is the final episode of the Rockabilly Rave 2008. Thanks to all involved in the show it has been a great one. I think this one could be the Brillo show show watch out. This one has the Talent contest so you going to have to listen to this one. A great end to a great weekend!
Duration: 44:47 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Well carrying on to part two Rockabilly Rave 2008 two hour special. Here is Part 2 - More wild action from the stars and faces at the Rockabilly Rave 2008 - sorry if I sound pissed at any point in the show.
Duration: 64:57 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Sunday afternoon and a record box, here is just over an hour of Rockin sounds all on those crackerly 45 rpm movements. Steaming Bopper, Doo Wop, pleasing Strollers and more. Bit of promo for Dingwalls on the 27th of this month and the Hillbilly Hop 2nd of May with Voola and Rohan the Man.
Duration: 62:51 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Well the idea of the show was to do a 2 hour special at the Rockabilly Rave 2008, for some reason I think it is going to be longer. All the better for you guys! Well after many hours of editing and not having a Madonna mic like Bill Smoker has for his shows - I need one of these.... Part 1 is here - Duke! Any way a great time was had by all at the Rockabilly Rave 2008 and I hope you will like part 1 of this special. Try and download the show as some people have had problems after streaming for 20 mins... For those of you who did not go to the Rave, feel free to check out the show.... Yes I know I am a bit late - but summer took most of my time up!!!!!!!
Duration: 40:19 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
This Podcast is going to be crazy. The Humdingers are a Rockabilly-country-hillbilly based four mad-man band from the deep south of swampy suffolk Putting their slant on old rock and roll and country classics, as well as some tunes you may have never heard before, because we haven't! Not liking to take anything to seriously, and hope that comes across in our gigs.We're here for a good time. Hopped up our second cd, is available on Pink and Black records another is planned for the summer of 2008. So if you see them billed somewhere soon come along and give them a shout! To find out where we are playing check the tour dates below. And feel free to get in touch See Yall soon. http://www.myspace.com/thehumdingersuk
Duration: 44:10 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- The lost Dingwalls recording Mouses Record Hop - backup Check it out!!!
Duration: 39:32 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Mark Harman, Left handed lead guitarist/vocalist. One of England's premier rockin guitarists, he co-founded and fronted Neo Rockabilly Kings RESTLESS for 27 years, taking them from Smalltownsville to fan-filled venues all over the world. From London to all of Europe and Scandanavia, from Moscow to Tokyo to Sydney and all stops in-between, to all the way to Hollywood and right up to their very last show in April 2007 with a legendary final performance in Las Vegas at the VLV Fest. Restless remained at the top of the rockin' tree for almost three decades and although there were many personnel changes throughout the years, Harman was there at the very beginning, and he was there at the very end. Jeff Bayly, double bass player. Much in demand session man, one time pool hustle champ, freehand artist and Restless' bass player from '84-88. Cut his teeth in a number of rockin' bands in the early eighties, finally found his feet by securing his place in Restless during what is now known as the 'After Midnight' years with arguably it's most successful line-up securing many TV, radio and music mag appearances and regular positions on the independent charts. Has been treading the boards for selected rockin' bands ever since. Mark Simpson, drummer (and pianist and cellist and arranger and Teacher....list goes on..) The true Musician, has a Diploma in Jazz and Popular Music from Goldsmiths University East London and he loves rockin' music. This Big Band player took Restless to new heights in their final show at VLV 2007 and as a consequence, heavily influenced the forming of LOOSENOOSE. http://www.myspace.com/loosenooseabilly
Duration: 38:26 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- The Excellos are one of the best new bands out. Nothing but the best in great Stomping Blues and Southern Rockin Beats. The Blues has been reborn with this excellent new band. With the release and success of their first NEW 45 RPM single I've got love if you want it being played in Rockin clubs up and down the land, the Excellos are a must. The Blues Gave Birth to Rock n Roll, but then the Bastard came out the Excellos! http://www.myspace.com/theexcellos
Duration: 38:59 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- Carlos and the Bandidos were formed by Carlos Mejuto (Singer) and Malcolm Chapman (Ld Gtr) in Nov 1995 and were joined by Neil Scott (Bass), Roger Van Niekirk (Dms) and Ricky Cooper (Rh Gtr). They've played all over the UK, most of Europe and have done three tours of the west coast of the US; alternating between weekender's like the Rockabilly Rave, Viva Las Vegas to tiny small pub gigs on the outskirts of some forgotten northern hamlet. Often described as a Mexican Rock-a-billy band, their influences mainly stem from Carlos's Spanish heritage and Malcolm's love of a minor chord or three, with influences that cross a very wide musical spectrum, and complimented by their self penned songs about broken relationships, death, drug addiction and the odd western-flavored murder song and Carlos's some-what colorful stage gear. Odd really, cos it ain't like they're a miserable bunch of gits pining over loves lost in some pokey pub in London with a warm beer in their hands. Well, not often anyways. They've been on TV, had music featured in a film, fallen in dutch canals (best not to ask), been stranded up a mountain in the snows wearing Hawaiian shirts (well, three of 'em anyway) and generally had a wonderful time, spreading joy, a little wisdom and tequilas where ever they go. (Ok, maybe not wisdom). They've cut 3 CD's, an LP, a few singles and appear on a slew of comps. (A fourth CD is in the works as I write). http://www.myspace.com/carlosbandidos
Duration: 76:10 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 64 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
Check out the New Show!! A great insight to the world of a very funny and talented individual. About Mouse I am a London ROCK-A-BILLY/ROCK N ROLL/RHYTHM AND BLUES DJ for over 25 years. I started my rock n roll life back in 1977 in South London and started to go to clubs in 1978. By 1982 I had formed my first band with Ashley Kingman (now in Big Sandys band) and Andy and Dave Bourne, that was RED HOT N BLUE. We went on to be a rather successful little band in our day, and I still do one off gigs with them in Europe mainly. I also started my DJ career around the same time, often doing guest spots with Tom Ingram and other people, eventually going on to open my own venues and promoting hundreds of gigs in London over the last 20 or so years. Even today my Dingwalls shows, which I do four times a year, still attract 400 plus people every time. I've DJ'd at every major Rock n Roll festival in the UK and Europe and continue to do so. Around 1988-90 I was in a great little rockabilly outfit called SWITCHBLADE with CAPTAIN DRUGBUSTER,GUY BOLTON AND ERIC LACUBE, we did some great shows and some super recordings but, ..Alas.. Didn't last long after guy quit and we split after a few years....(still good buddies though)..in 1995, I founded THE SPACE CADETS with Ricky Lee Brawn and Mark Harmen, we have been touring Europe non-stop for 10 years and continue to do so today, we've toured Australia, United States and just came back from Moscow!! I think I may have recorded over 12 or so albums with both bands over the years, my personal favorite is the Space Cadets 10 Lost On Earth. We don't have a web site, were a lazy bunch of dudes in that department, so if any body out there wants to make us a good website we'd be pleased to talk to you. THE SPACE CADETS very rarely play in the uk, which is weird as we all live here, we just prefer to do gigs abroad where the shows are bigger and wilder (sorry Brits, but its true).any way that's about it from me, .....so far this year 2007 I've been to Vegas, Hemsby, Germany, Spain, France touring with the Space Cadets and as Dee Jay...now only into September and lots more to do...see you guys at a nutty party real soon!!! oohhh, I also drive a black London taxi for my proper job in town, so if you ever see a taxi.....ask someone else !!!! http://www.myspace.com/cadetmouse
Duration: 36:37 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 32 KBPS - Frequency: 22050 HZ
- JACK RABBIT SLIM We had some problems with lost recordings on this show – Thanks to JRS and Duke. BOB BUTFOY ~ VOX , RHYTHM GUITAR , MARACAS / PAUL SAUNDERS ~ DRUMS / DARREN LINCE ~ LEAD GUITAR / LANDON FILER ~ DOUBLE BASS / BAND BIOG : Formed in 2004 , BOB BUTFOY ( BOB and THE BEARCATS ) assembled , PAUL SAUNDERS ( RUSTI STEEL and THE TIN TAX ) , TOM HAYES ( ROCKET 88 ) and NICK LINTON-SMITH ( JUMP CAT JUMP )with a plan to bring his own self styled sleaze a billy to the rockin scene and beyond !! gigs started to come in and it wasn't long before bob had contacted ALAN WILSON of THE WESTERN STAR RECORDING CO . bob and alan struck up a friendship and alan quickly snapped up JACK RABBIT SLIM for their 1st album . AUGUST 2005 saw the release of SIN-U-ENDO ! which included 11 bob butfoy originals , with a launch party at THE ACE CAFE a few months later . following a support role to BIG SANDY and THE FLYRITE BOYS the band's profile was raised ...more top gigs were to follow : HILLBILLY HOP , VIRGINIA CREEPERS , EDDIE COCHRAN FEST , BRIGHTON RUMBLE , HOLLAND , BELGIUM , THE HOT ROD HAYRIDE , FRANCE , DINGWALLS , HEMSBY , MADAME JOJO'S and THE RED ROSE to name a few ! 2007 saw the release of the band's 2nd album SLEAZE A BILLY ! which again featured 11 butfoy originals , just in time for the band's acclaimed appearance at VIVA LAS VEGAS ! upon returning from las vegas the band has had a line up change , now featuring , on guitar LITTLE JOSH ( KICK EM JENNY ) and LANDON FILER ( THE STATESIDE SLIDERS ) on double bass , jack rabbit slim's momentum became even greater , with airplay on BBC RADIO 2 and top gigs like ...WALLDORF - GERMANY , SCREAMIN' - SPAIN , THE AMERICANA , ROCKABILLY BOOGIE W'END , THE HOT ROD HAYRIDE ,THE CRUISE INN - AMSTERDAM , PARIS , BREMEN GERMANY and many more ! jan 08 saw the departure of josh , whose position on lead guitar was filled by DARREN LINCE ( EX SUGAR CREEK TRIO ) . darren and bob had previously worked together when bob fronted the sugar creek trio in conjuction with JRS in the early part of 2006 , they had also planned a band together just prior to the beginning of JRS which never got off the ground , so finally these 2 cats have got it together !!! a new WESTERN STAR album is being recorded , due for release in the spring , catch this explosive line up in 08 at WALLDORF - GERMANY , THE ROCKABILLY RAVE U.K , LOUD MUFFLERS CAR SHOW - PARIS , THE SPIDERS WEB - EDINGBORO , ROCKABILLY RAVE U.S.A - LAS VEGAS and many more !!!!!! http://www.myspace.com/jackrabbitslimuk
Duration: 37:05 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 128 KBPS - Frequency: 44100 HZ
- Preacher meets DJ Little Carl - Rockabilly Dynamite meets the charity shop The plan was to pick an album each that we have purchased years and or found in a Charity shop or thrift shop. Little Carl's Blurbs About me: .. I like Kicking Rock'n' Roll, Rockabilly of the 50's 60's. I grew up with the music through my parents going to clubs that would let youngsters like me at the time get in (it would save my parents having to get a sitter in!). I've listened to other types of music through the years but the wild Rock'n'Roll has got to be my fave. I like the 50's style of clothes but I'm not mad about vintage. I buy what I like and what I think's cool. I also DJ when I'm not at my day job (some electronics company 9-5 yawn!). Who I'd like to meet: Anyone Cool enough to have a laugh and not try to be your best friend. I don't like Bull***t! MySpace URL: http://www.myspace.com/littlecarl
Duration: 35:29 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 128 KBPS - Frequency: 44100 HZ
- Preacher meets Paul Ansells No9 - New Podcast! Playing the Hillybilly Hop this Friday No. 9 is the best band I have seen in a long time. - Bob Moore (Bassist for Elvis) One of the hottest bands on the European circuit - Shaun Mather, Rockabilly Hall of Fame Every so often, very rarely, I come across an album that really rocks me back on my heels. The first time as I recall was with the release in the late 70s of Presley's Sun Sessions... Now a few years down the line Paul Ansell's Live at Sun has done it again. - The House of Bop Paul Ansell's Number Nine ... is renowned for Smokin, country, rockin blues and it shows. He has an edge that makes you want to get up and dance. Elvis Information Network Ansell's vocals were dead-on - Elvisblog, Although Paul wasn't trying in any way to mimic Elvis, the whole sound was uncannily like those early Elvis records. - Caroline Rockers a special mention must go to Paul Ansell who sang the early Sun Singles and made the hairs stand on my neck. - Elvis-a-Presley.com Paul Ansell has a fantastic voice also and some of his songs sound so much like Elvis that if you close your eyes the King is there with you! - Amazon.com Scotty Moore and his band treated the audience to a look at the Rockabilly days of Sun Studios with Paul Ansell expertly handling the singing styles of Elvis, Carl Perkins, and Roy Orbison - Art Tipaldi - Blueswax Paul Ansell gives a terrific show as always, oozing star quality while reworking pop standards like Passenger and Red Light into stomping neo-billy anthems. - Bill Smoker, Rockabilly Rave 2005 http://www.myspace.com/paulansellofficial
Duration: 16:41 m - Filetype: mp3 - Bitrate: 128 KBPS - Frequency: 44100 HZ
- Preacher meets Warren Scott and the Memphis Playboys - some great tracks from this unknown band. A RECENTLY DISCOVERED REEL OF ACETATE TAPE FEATURING A NUMBER OF SONGS WAS UNEARTHED AT A FLEA MARKET SOMEWHERE IN THE DEEP SOUTH . A SMALL AMOUNT OF INFORMATION WAS INCLUDED IN THE TAPE'S BOX....IT'S STILL A MYSTERY WHO THESE GUYS REALLY ARE ...THE SEARCH IS UNDERWAY ! UNTIL THEN , ENJOY THE MUSIC THEY MADE ........ http://www.myspace.com/warrenscottthememphisplayboys